Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Baby John Bean

First of all, sorry it's taken almost 6 weeks to post an update.
This new chapter of our story begins at 3am on Wednesday May 25th, 2011.
At 3am I was rudely awakened by my water breaking. I rolled over to tell Brad to hurry up and get me a towel. I had to tell him 3 times that my water had broken before he was conscious enough to understand. Then of course, Diablo, our eldest cat, decided that her being comfortable was more important than Brad getting up to get me a towel so she was thrown off the bed. I got after receiving a towel from my loving husband and called the doctor, he said he'd call the hospital to let them know I was on my way. Brad and I took our time getting ready to leave, I wasn't having any contractions. We called my parents since they were going to have to drive up from Denver, typically about 1:15 to 1:30. We left the house at 4am and headed for Greeley and called Brad's parents on the way. We were both kind of sad that neither set of parents seemed terribly enthusiastic, but I guess it was 4am and they had been sleeping soundly. I asked Brad if he was going to drive like a maniac, he asked if I needed him to, I said no since contractions were just barely starting but that he could because it was probably one of the only times he'd have an excuse. He didn't rush figuring we'd be at the hospital long enough, no need to rush if we didn't have to
Brad dropped me off at the emergency room and went to park, thinking I'd have to fill out at least a little paperwork to say who I was. The put me in a wheelchair immediately and we had to wait for Brad before we headed up to the birthing unit. We had to go to triage for about 15 minutes before we were moved to a labor and delivery room. The nurses got me hooked up the the monitors and we got to hear our precious Bean's heartbeat, always a fantastic sound. I was only 2cm dilated so we settled in for the long haul and called Auntie Caitlyn. She took about a minute of grogginess to get out an excited "yeah!" and Brad and I immediately thanked her for her effort to be excited even though she was sleeping. Once I was settled Brad went out to move the car out of the ER lot and to get all of our stuff. While he was wandering outside trying to get to the car (he couldn't get back to the ER inside the hospital, he was lost) he found my parents pulling in. They'd made it quickly since there isn't a whole lot of traffic at 4am. They helped carry in our stuff and settled in themselves. Gail and Steve, Brad's parents, showed up a little later. My contractions were getting closer but I was still able to talk through them so Brad and his parents and my dad went up to the cafeteria for breakfast while my mom and I stayed to work. My mom got her work out rather quickly as my contractions started getting stronger pretty quickly after everyone else left. She had to prop her elbow on her knee to get enough pressure on my back. At 8:51 I told Mom I needed Brad too, she texted Dad, not knowing if she had Brad's number or not. Brad ran from the cafeteria and Mom stepped out while they checked me; she didn't get to come back in because it was time to start pushing. The baby's heart rate had been low for longer than they liked so they opted to use the vacuum to help the baby come down a little faster. Dr. Abbot used the vacuum on 3 pushes and the baby's heart rate came back up so we were able to put that bugger to the side. John Cade Budner was born at 9:44am and without any pain medication! Daddy Brad cut the cord and was wonderful through the whole thing, even with the bruise I gave him on his side from squeezing him. :) Brad and I took as much in as we could just the 3 of us then I sent him out to tell the grandparents who were anxiously awaiting news. Daddy shared that our new little boy was 7lbs 4 ozs and 20 1/4 inches long! When the grandparents were able to come in they all fought over who would get to hold him first, Oma (Grandma Sharon) said she did because she was the oldest. But even Oma had to wait until we could Skype Auntie Caitlyn so she could meet her nephew even though she was in Rhode Island.


No comments:

Post a Comment