Sunday, May 31, 2009

Koh Samui

We arrived in Koh Samui on Thursday afternoon after a short flight and luckily no rain. The weather in Koh Samui has been beautiful since we arrived. Kat, a friend of the Budner family, takes care of the villas we are staying in and has been wonderful about taking us out and showing us some wonderful and some hilarious parts of the island. Thursday she picked us up, showed us Chawang beach and Lamai beach then took us to our villa so we could get settled. Our villa is beautiful and has an even better view. Friday Kat took us around the island so we could see the sunset from the west side of the island and then we stopped in Chawang for dinner and a cabaret show. We ate Mexican food, Brad thinks it is too funny that we come all the way to Thailand and I crave Mexican, but I did. The chips and salsa and nachos hit the spot. The cabaret show was really funny. It consisted of Thailand's legendary lady-boys lip syncing to all kinds of songs. Brad also made an English friend that night who was guessing whether the people on stage were men, women or lady-boys, he was wrong on more than 1 occasion. After the cabaret show we went to a club with Kat, she wanted to go dancing, we don't dance but thought it would be interesting to see the differences between American and Thai clubs. Both Brad and I found ourselves doing a lot of people watching and guessing at who were women and who were lady-boys; I still have no idea how to really tell. Saturday was a relaxing day, we walked down the VERY steep hill to the main road and then walked some more until we finally gave in and rented 2 motorbikes (or as we say in the states, scooters). We motored on to lunch and then to a massage before heading back up the hill so we could go to the Jungle Club for dinner. The Jungle Club has a phenomenal view of both the city and the ocean, it was awesome. We had barbeque for dinner, Brad had seafood and I had meat. The plates were enormous and while Brad ate a lot he said it wasn’t as heavy as mine. My plate had a chicken breast, 4 or 5 pieces of steak (prime rib maybe- I don’t know my steak), a pork rib, a sausage and potato salad! On a good night at home I can eat a chicken breast and a small side, how in the world was I supposed to eat all that meat by myself?! In the end we ended up bringing a good meal back to the room. We didn’t get to stay long after that though because my stomach was not doing well and I was shaking all over. I came back to the villa and went to sleep. Brad and I decided to see if I could go play today by testing my ability to go down to breakfast. I was able to eat my breakfast but walking anywhere still made me shaky so I had Brad bring me back to the villa and he went off on his scooter around the island. He went all the way around the island going up random roads just to see where they went and around the beaches to see where a good place to go would be. He came back in the early afternoon and persuaded me to go to the beach, I did okay but didn’t feel comfortable walking too far. The beach, Lamai beach, was beautiful. The water was sooooo nice and calm, I wish I had been feeling better so we could have played in the water more. I am not feeling shaky anymore but I am still weak, I should do better after the wonderful meal Kat is planning on making for us tonight. Next stop, Chiang Mai!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again. Glad you are having a good time, seeing beautiful places, and meeting interesting people. You are, as Junior would say, "making memories" and they will last a lifetime.
    Love, Mom and Dad Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
  3. feel better miss may! there are so many little things I want to tell you but I can't. I'm ready for you to be back in cell phone contact... but I bet you're not ready just yet :) Feel better. Hope you're finding things to love about one another everyday ;)

    ReplyDelete